We are going to build a deck in our backyard. We've never been real do-it-yourselfers but we are excited to get this project going! The first thing on the list was to get rid of the existing cement steps below our patio doors. At 3:00pm we headed off to "K & R Rental to get a jack hammer. Terry thought it would probably take about two hours to remove the step... at $22.00/hour we were going to get it done fast!
5:00 pm-- Things are beginning to feel a little overwhelming. But with plenty of ice cold lemonade and Cathryn to cheer him on Terry was still going strong,90 pound jack hammer and all.
6:00 pm. Call K & R Rental to see when they close.6:20 pm. Richard........Help!
7:30 pm Superman arrives to save the day, Bobcat Loader , 4-Wheeler , Trailer, Cement Anchors and all!
8:00 pm Cement anchors in place we all hold our breath : 

11:00pm The last of the big chunks loaded and disposed of. Sara wonders what happened to the backyard!!


7:00 am the next day.... K & R Rental-- Our $44.00 job....160bucks!!
Stacy had a few comments on our project, there is probably some others who have similar thoughts.
"ahhh crazy the back patio is gone...how could you do such a thing without first consulting me....I have had countless memories in that huge chunk of cement! Falling and scraping my knees on it...getting hit with a wiffle ball while enjoying a game in the "stands" squishing HUNDREDS of really big daddy long legs....oh and that unforgettable screen door...how it would never shut (oh that was so annoying as a child)...oh the memories! How I will miss it. But all is well. You guys have wanted a patio forever...wait.... wait just one second....does that mean no more wiffle ball night game tournament!???? What will we do? What about our golf course. How are we to have any fun with a huge hunk of wood in our backyard? This is disastrous! What are you thinking?
Oh well.. Send me pictures :)

4 comments:
Wow that looks like loads of fun ha,ha. I hate it when jobs turn out worse than you plan. Can't wait to see the finished project. I am glad to see your blog also.
Every time I read it and see the pictures my heart hurts all over again for Dad!
I love your blog - we so miss all of you and think of you often. I am so impressed with the cement removal, you better be careful, your kids may put you to work with their cement:)
I'm laughing so hard my eyes are tearing up. Boy do I relate to those "little" projects that become nightmares.
Post a Comment